Martin H. Levin Advocacy Center
The Advocacy Center is a 19,500-square-foot building, which boasts a two-story grand foyer and glass front. The courtroom inside is used to hold classroom lessons, guest speaker lectures and mock trial proceedings. The room features tiered seating, which gives 98 students a clear view of the proceedings, and is enhanced by large monitors overhead, power outlet instillations on desks and video cameras for live recordings. At the front of the courtroom, a bench, which accommodates seven judges, a jury box and two attorneys’ tables create a realistic and professional atmosphere. It also features judge’s chambers and a jury deliberation room.
The center is named in honor of Martin H. Levin (JD 88), who is the son and former colleague of Pensacola attorney and college namesake Fredric G. Levin (JD 61). Facilities such as these provide students a sophisticated learning space and place the Levin College of Law at the forefront of major law colleges.
Lawton Chiles Legal Information Center
The Lawton Chiles Legal Information Center is one of the largest law libraries in the Southeast and among the top 20 law libraries in the country. Its three floors are filled with books, articles, research and journals on a variety of law topics.
At the bottom floor of the building, a soundproof study room is encased by wooden doors and welcomes the library’s visitors. The golden-lit room, also known as the Stephen C. O’Connell Florida Supreme Court Reading Room, displays photos along its walls of former and current Florida Supreme Court justices, all of whom graduated from UF Law. The library’s large study areas, quiet study rooms and wooden cubbies allow for individual or group studying.
The center is named in honor of Lawton Chiles (JD 55), who was a U.S. Senator and governor of Florida. The Lawton Chiles Legal Information Center prides itself on its wide collection of law articles, experienced library faculty and comfortable ambiance.
Spessard L. Holland Law Center
Spessard L. Holland Law Center is a multi-purpose building that creates a warm and comfortable learning atmosphere for faculty and students with more than 80 faculty offices as well as classrooms and small lecture halls.
Holland Hall was built in response to the influx of post-World War II baby boomers at the urging of Dean Frank E. Maloney who anticipated an increase in enrollment and campaigned for the new building.
The building’s three stories contain faculty offices in addition to administrative ones such as the dean’s suite, development and student affairs and faculty support.
This spacious building features faculty and staff lounges and a display of professors’ portraits who have served the law school for more than 25 years. It includes a floor-to-ceiling glass window adjacent to the display that overlooks the first and second floors of the law library.
The center is named in honor of Spessard L. Holland, who served as governor of Florida and as a U.S. senator. He graduated from UF Law in 1916.
Chesterfield Smith Ceremonial Classroom
The Chesterfield Smith Ceremonial Classroom is the most frequently used classroom at the law school.
Lecture halls include classroom inputs for laptops, DVD, projectors and audio. Recording and streaming services are also available as needed.
The law school has produced five American Bar Association presidents, which is more than any other school. These five presidents’ portraits are hung on the wall beginning with Chesterfield Smith, a 1948 graduate.
The classroom is named in honor of Chesterfield Smith, a UF Law graduate who presided over the American Bar Association during the Watergate Scandal. His famous quote, “No man is above the law,” is displayed in large metallic letters in the foyer before entering the classroom.
The displays in the foyer and inside the classroom as well as classroom technology create an interactive learning experience at UF Law.
Bruton-Geer Hall is a student-life hub where students chat over coffee, study before class or visit offices to catch up on current information and inquiries.
It is a functional building that energizes students and faculty with food selections, lounge areas, lockers and services. The cafeteria includes Starbucks and ARAMARK-catered food during school hours. Inside the cafeteria, the UF Law Bookstore and vending machines for snacks and coffee are popular among students.
There are many offices in this building including Career Development, Admissions, Journals, the Center for Governmental Responsibility, Communications, Environmental and Land Use Program office and the Virgil Hawkins Civil Clinic.
Stephen N. Zack Hall is also part of Bruton-Geer and connects Bruton-Geer Hall to Holland Hall through the second floor.
Bruton-Geer Hall was named in honor of Judge James G. Bruton Jr. and his wife, Quintilla. James Bruton received his J.D. in 1967 from UF Law and was elected to the state Legislature in 1934. He also chaired Florida Bar committees and held a position on the Bar’s Board of Governors.
Areas around the law school are populated with chatting students during mealtimes as well as faculty walking to and from buildings with their morning cups of coffee.
The Marcia Whitney Schott Courtyard is the central square that connects all of the buildings. Student organizations often set up information tables to interact with students.
Picnic tables on the south side of Bruton-Geer Hall allow people to eat and catch up with friends and colleagues as well as work on their laptops independently in a fresh environment.
Across from the campus, the Law School Woods Conservation Area has a wooded trail that leads to an area with a gazebo and benches. It was designed by 32 students and was constructed in 2003. Its goal is “to create an attractive nature park for passive recreation and environmental education for the use and enjoyment of the university community and its neighbors.”