Frank E. Maloney (Acting Dean and Dean, 1959-1970)

As dean, Frank E. Maloney saw the law school through some of its greatest challenges and biggest victories. Named as acting dean when Henry Fenn stepped down in 1958, and named as permanent dean in 1959, Maloney established the Florida Law Center Scholarship Fund to help the law school compete for the brightest students, and created the University of Florida Law Center Association to encourage the growth and development of the college. Under Maloney’s leadership, the law school admitted its first African American student to graduate, George W. Allen, in 1962. Foreseeing a major increase in enrollment as a result of the post-World War II baby boom, Maloney campaigned for and received funding to build the Spessard L. Holland Law Center, the law school’s current home. Maloney stepped down from the deanship in 1970 to return to full-time teaching.