The University of Florida, Levin College of Law, uses ExamSoft’s SofTest product for taking examinations on computers. Blank exam answer files are downloaded prior to the exam; following completion of the exam, the student’s completed answer file is uploaded via a secure Internet connection using ExamSoft’s FlexSite. The uploading of the completed answer file usually takes place at the end of the exam.
Because it is impossible to completely eliminate the risk of computer failure during an exam, please be aware that students who choose to use computers to take exams assume the risk of technology problems and all resulting consequences. The use of ExamSoft is an option and is not required.
ExamSoft is not a University of Florida Levin College of Law product. For support, please call the ExamSoft Support Hotline at (866) 429-8889 or email email@example.com. A Frequently Asked Questions page is also available at http://www.examsoft.com/uflaw under “Helpful Support Tools”.
The following is a list of commonly asked questions for using ExamSoft SofTest at the College of Law:
Q. What are the policies and procedures?
To install ExamSoft, go to: http://www.examsoft.com/uflaw.
Q. What do I have to do to take my exams on my computer?
If you have any questions after reading this information, PLEASE VISIT EXAMSOFT’S FAQ PAGE (see link above). That (and the ExamSoft email:firstname.lastname@example.org) are the UF Levin College of Law’s only source of information as well.
Install early! Users occasionally experience unexpected installation problems, requiring them to find alternative solutions for their exams, usually writing the answers.
Make sure you complete the ENTIRE download/install and registration procedure. In the past, a number of students thought they had completed the entire process, but they were not fully registered, and they had to handwrite the exam. To verify your status, run the SofTest program (and “Launch SofTest”); a notice on the screen will state your Registration Status.
You must have your ExamSoft Student ID and ExamSoft Password on the day of the exam to download the exam file. Your ExamSoft Student ID and Password are emailed to your UF College of Law email account prior to the exam. If you do not know your Student ID or Password please email email@example.com.
Q. How do I install ExamSoft on my laptop?
- Visit http://www.examsoft.com/uflaw
- Log in as an Exam Taker using the ExamSoft Student ID & Password provided by the Levin College of Law (this should have been emailed to you prior to final exams)
- To download SofTest, follow the instructions on the download page. You can now register SofTest.
- On the “Complete Registration” window, enter your ExamSoft Student ID and Password then click “Register”
- You will be notified that registration is complete
After you register SofTest, you will receive a confirmation email.
After downloading and installing SofTest, it is required you take the Sample Exam (Note, this is NOT the “Practice Exam” selection; this will be a “Sample_Exam” you download). This exam question file is downloaded to your computer and allows you to “test” your computer with SofTest. It also allows you to upload your sample test exam answer file. By doing so, you should be able to tell if your computer will have any problems prior to exam day.
Q. How do I download the exam file?
You can only download exam files once, so only download on the laptop you intend to use on exam day. You can download multiple exam files (different courses), but only once per exam.
- Establish an Internet connection.
- Double-click the SofTest icon.
- Click the “Download Exam Files” button.
- Enter your ExamSoft Student ID and Password. Then click “Next”.
- Select your exam from the list. Click the “Download” button.
- Continue to select and download your exams until you have downloaded an exam file for each exam.
If your class exam is not listed, contact the Student Affairs office.
Q. What do I do if my computer fails during an exam?
- You can begin writing and complete the exam by hand. In this case, you would notify Student Affairs of the equipment failure malfunction immediately following the exam.
- You can try to reboot your computer and restart the ExamSoft SofTest. If your computer crashed without properly shutting it down, when you restart SofTest, it should offer you the ability to recover the work you’ve already completed. If you do so, your work completed prior to the computer failure will then be available. If your computer will not reboot, then you will need to complete the exam by hand.
- If your computer fails and you wish to seek immediate technical assistance, you should notify the proctor. If a proctor is not in the room, you should notify Student Affairs. Either the proctor or Student Affairs will contact Technology Services staff for assistance. Continue writing the exam in a bluebook until and unless instructed otherwise by the proctor or Student Affairs. Technology Services staff will report to the room as soon as they are available. A technician will move the computer to another area and examine it; the technician may request you to accompany him or her to assist with the diagnosis. The technician will spend up to (no more than) fifteen minutes diagnosing the problem. The technician will then return the computer to the student in the exam room, and will inform the proctor whether the student may resume using the computer or should complete the exam using a bluebook.