As the state’s senior legal and public policy research institute, the Center for Governmental Responsibility (CGR) has been the innovator for environmental law, democracy and governance, and social policy research.
The projects occur at the state, national, and international level for local, state and national governments; Florida courts, lawyers and the U.S. Supreme Court; governmental agencies; college and universities; foundations; and private enterprises. CGR projects and programs produce publications and policy development in the areas of environment law, social policy law, international trade, and democracy and governance. CGR faculty have published books, law review articles, journal articles, monographs, training manuals (in different languages), training videotapes, an Emmy-winning television program, and model constitutions, laws, and ordinances.
- Carly Grimm and Thomas T. Ankersen, Feeling the Squeeze: TheTroubled Future of Lateral Beach Access in Florida, XXXV FLA. BAR ENV. & LAND USE LAW SECTION REPORTER 3:1 (2014).
- Thomas T. Ankersen, The Right to Surf, IN CH. 17 SURFING FLORIDA, A PHOGRAPHIC HISTORY, Paul Aho, ed. (University Presses of Florida, 2014).
- Richard G. Hamann, Can the Endangered Species Act Save the Apalachicola?, 29:4 GA. STATE UNIV. L. REV. 1025-1062 (2013).
- Kevin Wozniak, Garin Davidson and Tom Ankersen, Florida’s Coastal Hazards Disclosure Law: Property Owner Perceptions of the Physical and Regulatory Environment, FLA. SEA GRANT TECHNICAL PAPER – 194 (2012).
- A. Linhoss, A. Cameron, H. Hall, S. Blair, T. Ankersen, Large Woody Material: Science, Policy and Best Management Practices in Florida Streams, THE FLORIDA SCIENTIST (2012).
- Thomas T. Ankersen, Turtles Without Borders: The International and Domestic Law Basis For The Shared Conservation, Management and Use of Sea Turtles in Nicaragua, Costa Rica And Panama, J. OF INT’L WILDLIFE L. AND POL’Y (2012).
- Thomas Ankersen, Richard Hamann and Byron Flagg, Anchoring Away: Government Regulation and the Rights of Navigation in Florida, 3rd Edition, FLA. SEA GRANT TECHNICAL PAPER TP-180, Grant funded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (2011).
- M. Volk, T. Ankersen, H. Needleman, P. Painter, M. Faeber, A. Hoek, Blight is in the Eye of the Beholder: Law and Policy Solutions to Blight Eradication in Florida Waterfront Communities, FLA. SEA GRANT LAW AND POLICY J. 4:1 (2011).
- J. Flocks, F. Escobedo, Jeffry Wade, S. Varela and C. Wald, Environmental Justice Implications of Urban Tree Cover in Miami-Dade County, Florida, ENV. JUSTICE 4(2):125-134 (2011).
- JoAnn Klein and Timothy McLendon, Legal and Policy Issues from the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill: Moving from Response to Recovery, A REPORT PREPARED FOR THE GULF COAST ECOSYSTEM RESTORATION TASK FORCE, The McIntosh Foundation (2011).
- Thomas T. Ankersen, Special Editor and Introduction to the Special Issue: Focus on Florida, FLA. SEA GRANT L. AND POL’Y J., VOL. 4, NO. 1 (2011).
- Thomas Ankersen, Richard Hamann, Rachel King, Megan Wegerif and John November, Enhanced Water Quality Protection in Florida: An Analysis of the Regulatory and Practical Significance of an Outstanding Florida Water Designation2 FLA. SEA GRANT L. & POL’Y J. 74-104, (2010).
- Christine A. Klein, Mary Jane Angelo and Richard Hamann, Modernizing Water Law: The Example of Florida, 61 FLA. L. REV. 3:403-474 (2009).
- Sharon B. Megdal, Richard Hamann, Thomas Harter, James W. Jawitz and J. Michael Jess, Water, People, and the Future: Water Availability for Agriculture in the United States, COUNCIL FOR AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, ISSUE PAPER NO. 44 (2009).
Local & State Governance
- Timothy McLendon, JoAnn Klein, David Listokin, Michael Lahr, Economic Impacts of Historic Preservation in Florida (Update 2010) , Center for Governmental Responsibility and Center for Urban Policy Research at Rutgers University, funded by Bureau of Historic Preservation, Divi. of Historical Resources in the Florida Department of State (2010).
- JoAnn Klein, Timothy McLendon, and David Listokin, Economic Impacts of Historic Preservation in Florida: Update 2010, Division of Historical Resources, Florida Dept. of State (2010).
- Thomas M. Clarke, Timothy McLendon, Daniel J. Hall, Court Electronic Public Access Pilot Program Assessment, Phase One Manatee County, Florida, FINAL REPORT TO NATIONAL CENTER FOR STATE COURT (2009).
- Timothy McLendon and David Listokin, Update to Economic Impacts of Historic Preservation in Florida: Report of Activities for Phase I, REPORT TO FLORIDA DEPT OF STATE, DIV. OF HISTORICAL RESOURCES, BUREAU OF HISTORIC PRESERVATION (2009).
- Timothy E. McLendon, Florida Historic Preservation Law, IN TREATISE OF FLORIDA ENVIRONMENTAL & LAND USE LAW (FLA. BAR, 2000, 2008, 2012).
National & International Governance
- Terry McCoy and Timothy McLendon, 2014 Latin American Business Environment Report (2015).
- Terry McCoy and Timothy McLendon, 2013 Latin American Business Environment Report (2014).
- Terry McCoy and Timothy McLendon, 2012 Latin American Business Environment Report (2013).
- Terry McCoy and Timothy McLendon, 2010 Latin American Business Environment Report (2011).
- Terry McCoy and Timothy McLendon, 2009 Latin American Business Environment Report (2009).
- Thomas Ankersen and Kevin Regan, Baselines and Benchmarks: The Need for a National Environmental Legacy Act to Address the Shifting Baselines Phenomenon, IN BEYOND ENVIRONMENTAL LAW: POLICY PROPOSALS FOR A BETTER ENVIRONMENTAL TOMMORROW ( Alyson C. Flournoy & David Driesen eds., 2009).
- Ewa Gmurzyńska, Culture: The Body/Soul Connector, IN RETHINKING NEGOTIATION TEACHING, Christopher Honeymoon, James Coben and Giuseppe De Palo, eds. (Disputes Resolution Press, 2009).Ewa Gmurzyńska and Jacqueline Nolan-Haley, Culture-The Body/Soul Connector in Negotiation Ethics,IN RETHINKING NEGOTIATION TEACHING: INNOVATIONS FOR CONTEXT AND CULTURE, Christopher Honeymoon, James Coben and Giuseppe De Palo, eds. (Disputes Resolution Press, 2009).
- Ewa Gmurzyńska, Mediations and Lawyers, KANCELARIA (A POLISH QUARTERLY OF LEGAL ADVISORS) (2009).
- THEORY AND PRACTICE OF MEDIATION (in Polish), Ewa Gmurzyńska and Rafal Morek, eds. in-chief (Poland: Wolters Kluwer, 2009).
- Ewa Gmurzyńska, Types of Mediation, IN MEDIATION, Lidia Mazowiecka, ed. in chief (Poland: Wolters Kluwer, 2009).
- Jon Mills and Ryan Koslosky, Whither Communism: A Comparative Perspective on Constitutionalism in a Postsocialist Cuba, GEO. WASH. INT’L L. REV. (2009).
- Jon L. Mills, PRIVACY: THE LOST RIGHT (Oxford University Press, 2008).
- Jon Mills, The Future of Privacy in the Surveillance Age in AFTER SNOWDEN: NATIONAL SECURITY, PUBLIC INFORMATION, AND THE AFTERMATH OF THE SNOWDEN AFFAIR, Thomas Dunne Books-Macmillan (Ronald Goldfarb, ed., 2015).
- Jon Mills, PRIVACY IN THE NEW MEDIA AGE, University Press of Florida, 2015
- Jon Mills, At Issue: Can Edward Snowden be considered a whistleblower? CQ RESEARCHER 113 (Jan. 31, 2014).
- Jon Mills, PRIVACY: THE LOST RIGHT, Oxford Univ. Press, 2008
- Jon Mills, The New Media In The New World: Are They Behaving Badly Or Doing Their Job?, in FREE SPEECH IN AN INTERNET ERA: PAPERS FROM THE FREE SPEECH DISCUSSION FORUM, Carolina Academic Press (Russell L. Weaver and Clive Walker, eds., 2013).
- Jon Mills, Privacy and Press Intrusions: New Media, Old Law, in THE RIGHT TO PRIVACY IN THE LIGHT OF MEDIA CONVERGENCE: PERSPECTIVES FROM THREE CONTINENTS (Media Convergence Series Vol. 3) 88-113, Berlin, Germany: De Gruyter (Dieter Dörr & Russell Weaver, eds., 2012).
- Jon Mills, On Web, Families of Victims Entitled to Privacy, Tampa Bay Times, Feb. 22, 2010
- Jon Mills, Sex, Lies, and Genetic Testing: What Are Your Rights to Privacy in Florida?, 5 FLA. L. REV. 48, December 1996.
- Joan Flocks and James Davies, The Deepwater Horizon Disaster Compensation Process as Corrective Justice: Views from the Ground Up, MISSISSIPPI LAW J. 84(1):1-42 (2014).
- J. Runkle, J. Flocks, J. Economos, J.A. Tovar-Aguilar and L. McCauley, Occupational Risks and Pregnancy and Infant Health Outcomes in Florida Farmworkers, INT’L J. OF ENV. RESEARCH AND PUBLIC HEALTH 11:7820-7840 (2014).
- Joan D. Flocks, Protecting Farmworker Children from Pesticide Exposure: Physicians for Social Responsibility, available here (2014).
- J. Flocks, V. Thien Mac, J. Runkle, J.A. Tovar-Aguilar, J. Economos, and L. McCauley, Female Farmworkers’ Health During Pregnancy-Health Care Providers’ Perspectives, J. OF AGROMED. 18(4): 350-358 (2013).
- J. Flocks, L. Clarke, S. Albrecht, C. Bryant, P. Monaghan, and H. Baker, Implementing a Community-Based Social Marketing Project to Improve Agricultural Worker Health, IN SOCIAL MARKETING, R.C.Lefebvre, ed. (Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, 2013).
- JD Runkle, JA Tovar-Aguilar, J Economos, J Flocks, B Williams, J Muniz, M Semple, and L McCauley, Pesticide Risk Perception and Biomarkers of Exposure in Florida Female Farmworkers, J. OF OCCUPATIONAL AND ENV. MED. 55(11):1286-92 (2013).
- Joan D. Flocks, A Starting Place for Understanding Immigration Reform, available here (2013).
- Joan D. Flocks, The Environmental and Social Injustice of Farmworker Pesticide Exposure, GEORGETOWN J. ON POVERTY L. & POL’Y. 19(2):255-282 (2012).
- J. Flocks, M. Kelley, J. Economos, and L. McCauley, Female Farmworkers’ Perceptions of Pesticide Exposure and Pregnancy Health, J. OF IMMIGRANT AND MINORITY HEALTH 14:626-632 (2012).
- S.M. Kneipp, J.A. Kairalla, B.J. Lutz, D. Pereira, A.. Hall, J. Flocks, L. Beeber, and T.Schwartz, Effectiveness of Public Health Nursing Case-Management on the Health of Women Receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families: Findings from a Randomized Controlled Trial using Community Based Participatory Research, AMER. J. OF PUBLIC HEALTH 101(9):1759-1768 (2011).
- Brian Mayer, Joan Flocks, Paul Monaghan, The Role of Employers and Supervisors in Promoting Pesticide Safety Behavior among Florida Farmworkers, AMER. J. OF INDUSTRIAL MED. 53(8):814-824 (2010).
- Joan D. Flocks, Pesticide Policy and Farmworker Health, REVIEWS ON ENV. HEALTH 24(4):297-301,(2009).
- Stephen J. Powell and Patricia Camino Pérez, Global Laws, Local Lives: Impact of the New Regionalism on Human Rights Compliance, 17 BUFF. HUM. RTS. L. REV. 117 (2011).
- Stephen J. Powell and Trisha Low, Is the WTO Quietly Fading Away? The New Regionalism and Global Trade Rules, 9 GEO. J. L. & PUB. POL’Y 261 (2011).
- Stephen J. Powell and Ludmila Mendonça Lopes Ribeiro, Managing the rule of law in the Americas: an empirical portrait of the effects of 15 years of WTO, MERCOSUL, and NAFTA dispute resolution on civil society in Latin America, 42 U. MIAMI INTER-AMER. L. REV. 197 (2011).
- Stephen J. Powell, Expanding the NAFTA Chapter 19 Dispute Settlement System: A Way to Declaw Trade Remedy Laws in a Free Trade Area of the Americas?, 16 L. & BUS. REV. AMERS. 217 (2010).
- Berta Hernández-Truyol and Stephen J. Powell, JUST TRADE: A NEW COVENANT LINKING TRADE AND HUMAN RIGHTS (NYU Press, 2008).
- Stephen J. Powell, Small Steps: Ending Trade’s Splendid Isolation from Human Rights, PUC-RIO NUCLEO DE DIREITOS HUMANOS (2008).
- Stephen J. Powell and Paola A. Chavarro, Toward a Vibrant Peruvian Middle Class: Effects on the Peru-United States Free Trade Agreement on Labor Rights, Biodiversity, and Indigenous Populations, 20 FLA. J. INT’L L. 93-146 (2008).
- Berta Hernández-Truyol and Stephen J. Powell, Local Laws, Global Lives: Trade and Human Rights Law in the Americas (2007).