Heritage of Leadership
To permanently honor outstanding and notable alumni of the University of Florida Levin College of Law and their contributions to the state and University, the Law Center Association Board of Trustees established the Heritage of Leadership Recognition Society. The Selection Committee determined the initial classes of inductees, barring exceptional circumstances, would be honored posthumously.
Class of 2014
Sam M. Gibbons (1920-2012)
Class of 1947. From the battlefields of D-Day 1944 to over four decades in United States Congress and Florida Legislature, he spearheaded establishment of the University of South Florida, championed early childhood education, health care, civil rights, medical research, help for the disadvantaged and peace through global trade. Father, husband, statesman and peacemaker.
Bill McBride (1945-2012)
Class of 1975. Served as Marine in Vietnam and earned Bronze Star. Managing partner of Holland & Knight (1992) helping to drive its rapid expansion; directed founding of pro bono practice of the law firm. Inducted into Tampa Bay Business Hall of Fame (2000). Democratic nominee for Florida Governor (2002). Partner, Tampa’s Barnett, Bolt, Kirkwood, Long & McBride (2003).
Heritage of Leadership Selection Committee
- W. Crit Smith, JD 78, chair, Tallahassee
- Richard B. Comiter, JD 80, LLMT 81, vice-chair, Palm Beach Gardens
- Barry Davidson, JD 67, Miami
- Scott G. Hawkins, JD 83, West Palm Beach
- Michael D. Minton, JD 81, LLMT 82, Fort Pierce
- Brian M. O’Connell, JD 79, LLMT 80, West Palm Beach
- Eugene K. Pettis, JD 85, Fort Lauderdale
- Gary Printy, JD 82, Tallahassee
- Michael W. Smith, JD 85, New York