To permanently honor outstanding and notable alumni of the University of Florida Levin College of Law and their contributions to the state and University, the Law Center Association Board of Trustees established the Heritage of Leadership Recognition Society. The Selection Committee determined the initial classes of inductees, barring exceptional circumstances, would be honored posthumously.
Class of 2007
Class of 1936
President, Florida Bar 1960-61; President, Dade County Bar 1954-55; U.S. District Court, Southern District 1966-1999; Chief Judge of U.S. District Court, Southern District 1977-82
Class of 1941
Florida Bar President 1971-72; Florida Senate 1962 and re-elected in 1966; Chief of Staff to his brother, Governor Dan McCarty 1953; ABA House of Delegates and The Florida Bar Board of Governors.
Heritage of Leadership selection committee 2005-2007
- Scott Hawkins ’83, Chair, West Palm Beach
- Hon. Patricia Fawsett ’73, Vice-Chair, Orlando
- E.L. Roy Hunt, Emeritus Faculty, Gainesville
- Marybeth McDonald ’82, Orlando
- Hon. Benjamin Overton ’52, Tallahassee
- S. Austin Peele ’63, Lake City
- Johnson “Buddy” Savary ’56, Sarasota
- Betty “Grace” Taylor ’62, Faculty Emeritus, Gainesville
- Frank Upchurch, III, ’74, St. Augustine