LL.M., University of Wisconsin
J.D., University of Chicago
M.St., University of Oxford
B.A., Amherst College
Teaching & Scholarship
- Antitrust, Corporate, International and Comparative Business Law and Regulation, Law & Entrepreneurship
- Book Series Co-Editor – Global Competition Law and Economics (Stanford University Press).
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law faculty in 2008
- Executive Committee, AALS Section on Antitrust and Economic Regulation
- Vice Chair, Membership Committee, ABA Antitrust Section
- Editor of the Antitrust and Competition Policy Blog.
- Member, Hispanic National Bar Association
- Policy Work: He has provided technical assistance and capacity building to antitrust agencies and utilities regulators from around the world. He serves as a non-governmental advisor to the International Competition Network, and has presented to the Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission, World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank, OECD, Swedish Competition Authority, ABA Antitrust Section, ABA International Section, and International Competition NetworkMember Hispanic National Bar Association, Advisory Board of Hispanic Bar Association Journal of Law and Policy
Corporations — LAW 6063 (Credits: 3)
- Registration preference given to fall and spring entering students in their fourth full semester. Consideration of problems in organizing a corporation, disregard of the corporate fiction, control and management, derivative suits, and special problems of the close corporation. May also consider federal regulations controlling insider trading, proxy solicitations, and short-swing profits.
Business Organizations — LAW 6062 (Credits: 3)
- A consideration of the various forms of doing business, especially for unincorporated associations. Emphasis is placed upon agency and partnership, with consideration given to other forms of businesses, such as non-profit corporations, professional associations and limited liability companies.
Law and Entrepreneurship — LAW 6930 (Credits: 3)
- The intersection of law and entrepreneurship is an emerging field of study. This course explores the common legal and economic issues faced by highly innovative start-up companies and the angel investors and venture capitalists who fund them.
Book Series Co-Editor – Global Competition Law and Economics (Stanford University Press).
Co-editor with Roger Blair of UF Economics of the 54 chapter Oxford Handbook of International Antitrust Economics (Oxford University Press – under contract). Will co-write introduction (with Blair) and co-write a book chapter (with Abrantes-Metz).
Co-editor with Ioannis Lianos of University College London Law and Thomas Cheng of Hong Kong University Law of “Competition Law and Development” (Stanford University Press 2013 expected). Will co-write introduction (with Lianos and Cheng) and write a book chapter.
Co-editor with Ioannis Lianos of University College London Law of “The Global Limits of Antitrust Law” (Stanford University Press 2012 expected). Co-wrote introduction (with Lianos) and wrote a book chapter.
Co-editor with Eleanor Fox of NYU of “Competition Law and Policy in Latin America” (Hart 2009). Co-wrote introduction (with Fox) and wrote a book chapter..
Book Chapters and Peer Review Articles
Cartels, Corporate Compliance and What Practitioners Really Think About Enforcement, Antitrust Law Journal (forthcoming 2011).
International Antitrust Institutions in Cooperation, Comity and Competition Policy (Oxford University Press, Andrew Guzman of Berkeley Law editor) (2010)
Exporting Knowledge Through Technical Assistance and Capacity Building, 6 Journal of Competition Law & Economics 233 (2010) (with Kyle W. Stiegert of University of Wisconsin Applied Economics).
What Role for Government Ownership in Business and What is the Best Form of Oversight in THE PROS AND CONS OF COMPETITION IN/BY THE PUBLIC SECTOR (Swedish Competition Authority 2009).
What Do We Really Know About Export Cartels and What is the Appropriate Solution?, 4 Journal of Competition Law & Economics 967 (2008).
Law Review Articles
Antitrust Energy, Southern California Law Review (forthcoming 2011-12)(with Barak Orbach of U. Arizona Law).
Business Strategy Against Dominant Firms and the Choice of Public and Private Enforcement, Southern California Law Review (forthcoming 2011-12).
Explaining the Importance of Public Choice for Law, 108 Michigan Law Review 1029 (2011).
Antitrust, Institutions, and Merger Control, 17 George Mason Law Review 1055 (2010).
Competition Policy and Comparative Corporate Governance of State Owned Enterprises, 2009 BYU Law Review1713 (2009).
The Future of International Antitrust and Improving Antitrust Agency Capacity, 103 Northwestern University Law Review 1081 (2009).
Limiting Anti-Competitive Government Interventions That Benefit Special Interests, 17 George Mason Law Review 119 (2009).
Shorter Symposia Articles
Antitrust Merger Efficiencies in the Shadow of the Law, 64 Vanderbilt Law Review En Banc 45 (2011)(with James Fishkin)
Law and Development – The Way Forward or Just Stuck in the Same Place?, 104 Northwestern University Law Review Colloquy 238 (2010)
Ranking Antitrust Agencies Around the World: What Antitrust Can Learn From Restaurant Guides, 41, Loyola Chicago Law Review 573 (2010)