David M. Hudson
Box # Gainesville, FL 32611
EducationLL.M., University of London LL.M., University of Florida J.D., Florida State University B.S., Wake Forest University
Teaching and ScholarshipTaxation & Immigration Law
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law faculty in 1980 as Assistant Professor. Named Associate Professor (1983), Professor (1985) and Director of Comparative Law Program (1999).
- Previous Educational: Duquesne Law School (1977 - 1978) Assistant Professor of Law; Florida State University (1979) Adjunct Professor; University of Leiden (1986) Visiting Professor.
- State Government: Assistant Attorney General, Department of Legal Affairs, Tax Section (1974-76); Deputy General Counsel, Department of Business Regulation (1978-79).
- Organizations: Florida Bar, Tax Section; American Bar Association, Tax Section; International Fiscal Association.
Income Taxation (3 or 4 credits) - LAW 6600
- NOTE: Students who wish to take additional taxation courses should consider taking this course in second year because it is a prerequisite to all other income tax courses. Designed to teach fundamentals of federal income taxation to prepare students, as lawyers, to recognize and appreciate income tax consequences of transactions and events they encounter in general practice of law. Students learn to read and understand the language of statutes (the Internal Revenue Code), of an administrative agency (the Internal Revenue Service), and judicial interpretations of the statutes and agency pronouncements.
Immigration & Nationality Law (2 or 3 credits) - LAW 6264
- Current United States immigration and nationality law, its history and constitutional, statutory and policy perspectives. Topics include administration by the Department of Homeland Security; source and scope of congressional power; procedures for entry, exclusion, and deportation; refugee and asylum law; immigration process reform proposals; undocumented migration; and acquisition and loss of citizenship.
Seminar for Comparative Law Students (2 credits) - LAW 6936
- Governmental Immunity and Taxation in Florida, 9 Journal of Law and Public Policy 221 (1998)
- BLACK LETTER ON FEDERAL INCOME TAX (With Stephen A. Lind) (West Publishing Company: 9th Ed. 2004, plus 1st-8th, 1985-2002.)
- Tax Problems for Departing Aliens, 97-3 Immigration Briefings 1 (1997)