Emeritus Professor of Law
Box #117626 Gainesville, FL 32611
EducationJ.D., University of Iowa B.A., University of Northern Iowa (high honors)
Teaching and ScholarshipNegotiation, Mediation, Interviewing, Counseling, Civil Procedure
- University of Florida: Joined Law faculty as Professor (1973). Named Director of Institute for Dispute Resolution (1999).
- Visiting Faculty: University of Colorado (1972-73), University of Malaya (1981), Monash University School of Law (1987), University of Alabama (1997), University of Iowa College of Law (2001), Yarmouk University (2001).
- Private Practice: Staff Attorney, Legal Services Program of Greater Miami, Inc. (1969-71).
- Professional Affiliations: Supreme Court of Florida (Certified Circuit, County and Family Mediator), Supreme Court of Colorado, Supreme Court of Iowa, U.S. Supreme Court.
Mediation Clinic (6 credits) - LAW 6940
- NOTE: Enrollment is done by application prior to advanced registration. Students who have taken civil or criminal clinic are eligible only if seats go unfilled. Participation in delivery of actual mediation services under supervision combined with instruction in mediation theory and skills, including short role-plays, longer simulated sessions, and observations of actual mediations. One-third of credits may be awarded on a letter-grade basis at the option of the instructor. The remaining credits will be awarded on a Satisfactory (S), Unsatisfactory (U) basis.
Professional Responsibility & The Legal Profession (3 credits) - LAW 6750
- �Examines role of the individual lawyer and legal profession as an entity in contemporary society. Topics include the role of the lawyer as advocate, counselor and community leader; the ethical and moral obligations of lawyers to their clients, other lawyers and society as derived from general ethical and moral principles and as embodied in model rules of the Code of Professional Responsibility; and problems encountered in representing particular categories of clients, including corporations, criminal defendants and indigents.