Box #117625 Gainesville, FL 32611
Professor Grayson M.P. McCouch is the Gerald Sohn Professor of Law at the University of Florida. He holds an A.B. from Harvard University, a J.D. from Stanford Law School, and an LL.M. (Taxation) from Boston University. After law school he clerked for Judge Hugh Bownes on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, practiced law with firms in Boston and Minneapolis, and served as a member of the law faculty at the University of Miami and the University of San Diego. Professor McCouch teaches primarily in the areas of estate and gift taxation, trusts and estates, and estate planning. He is a co-author of leading casebooks on gratuitous transfers and federal estate and gift taxation. His published articles reflect a wide range of scholarly interests including estate and gift taxation, inheritance law, social security, retirement savings policy, and tax shelters. He is a member of the American Law Institute. Professor McCouch's scholarship can be found on:
EducationLL.M. (Taxation), Boston University; J.D., Stanford University; A.B., Harvard University
Teaching and Scholarship
- Estates and Trusts; Taxation of Gratuitous Transfers; Estate Planning.
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law faculty as Professor in 2013;
- Previous Academic Experience: Professor, University of San Diego School of Law (2001-2013); Professor, University of Miami School of Law (1995-2001); Associate Professor, University of Miami School of Law (1990-1991, 1992-1995); Associate Professor, University of Missouri - Columbia School of Law (1991-1992).
- Government Service: Law Clerk, Judge Hugh H. Bownes, U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit (1983-1984).
- Private Practice: Sullivan & Worcester (Boston, MA, 1984-1986); Dorsey & Whitney (Minneapolis, MN, 1986-1990).
- Professional Associations: American Law Institute.
Trusts & Estates (4 credits) - LAW 6930
Advanced Estated & Trusts (2 credits) - LAW 6936
Taxation of Gratuitous Transfers (3 credits) - LAW 6620
Estate Planning (6450)
- Introduction to Estate Planning (6th ed.) (with Lynn) (Thomson/West, 2014)
- Selected Statutes on Trusts and Estates (with Ascher) (Thomson/West, 2014)
- Gratuitous Transfers (6th ed.) (with Mark Ascher, Elias Clark (deceased) & Arthur W. Murphy) (Thomson/West, 2013)
- Federal Estate and Gift Taxation (10th ed.) (with Boris Bittker (deceased) & Elias Clark (deceased)) (Thomson/West, 2011)
- Federal Estate and Gift Taxation (7th ed.) (with John K. McNulty) (Thomson/West, 2011)
- “Woods: A Path Through the Penalty Maze,” (with Karen Burke) 142 Tax Notes 829 (2014)
- “Who Killed the Rule Against Perpetuities?” 40 Pepperdine Law Review 1291 (2013)
- “Reflections on Penalty Jurisdiction in Tigers Eye” (with Karen Burke), 136 Tax Notes 1581 (2012)
- “Illusory Partnership Interests and the Anti-Antiabuse Rule” (with Karen Burke), 132 Tax Notes 813 (2011)
- The Empty Promise of Estate Tax Repeal, 28 VA. TAX REV. 369 (2008)
- COBRA Strikes Back: Anatomy of a Tax Shelter, 62 TAX LAW. 59 (2008) (with Burke)