Jason P. Nance
Assistant Professor of Law
Associate Director, Center on Children and Families
Box #117625 Gainesville, FL 32611
EducationJ.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School Ph.D., The Ohio State University M.A., The Ohio State University B.A., Brigham Young University
Teaching and ScholarshipEducation Law, Empirical Legal Studies, Torts, Remedies, The Legal Profession
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law faculty as Assistant Professor in 2011
- Previous Academic Experience: Visiting Assistant Professor of Law, Villanova University School of Law (Fall 2010); Visiting Assistant Professor of Applied Statistics, The Ohio State University (2002 – 2003)
- Previous Professional Experience: Litigation Associate, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (2007 – 2011); Law Clerk to Judge Kent A. Jordan, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (Dec. 2006 – Sept. 2007); Law Clerk to Judge Kent A. Jordan, United States District Court for the District of Delaware (Sept. 2006 – Dec. 2006); Public School Teacher, Aldine Independent School District, Houston, Texas (1996 – 1999)
- An Empirical Analysis of Diversity in the Legal Profession, 47 CONN. L. REV. __ (forthcoming) (with Paul E. Madsen).
- School Surveillance and the Fourth Amendment, 2014 WIS. L. REV. 79 (2014).
- Students, Security, and Race, 63 EMORY L.J. 1 (2013).
- Random, Suspicionless Searches of Students’ Belongings: A Legal, Empirical, and Normative Analysis, 84 U. COLO. L. REV. 367 (2013).
- The Law Review Article Selection Process: Results from a National Study, 71 ALB. L. REV. 565 (2008) (with Dylan J. Steinberg).
- Protecting Students From Abuse: Public School District Liability for Student Sexual Abuse Under State Child Abuse Reporting Laws, 36 J.L. & EDUC. 33 (2007) (with Philip T.K. Daniel).
- Contexts of Accountability Under Systemic Reform: Implications for Principal Influence on Instruction and Supervision, 43 EDUC. ADMIN. Q. 3 (2007) (with Helen M. Marks) (peer reviewed).
- Public School Administrators and Technology Policy Making, 39 EDUC. ADMIN. Q. 434 (2003) (peer reviewed).
- The Role of the Administrator in Instructional Technology Policy, 2002 BYU EDUC. & L.J. 211 (2002) (with Philip T.K. Daniel).
Book Chapters/Collected Works:
- Curriculum and Instruction Policy in the Context of Multiple Accountabilities, in IMPROVING SCHOOLS: STUDIES IN LEADERSHIP AND CULTURE 193–221 (Wayne K. Hoy & Michael DiPaola eds., 2008) (with Helen M. Marks).
- School Security Considerations After Newtown, 65 STAN. L. REV. ONLINE 103 (2013).
- Fostering Safe Learning Environments, 71 EDUC. LEADERSHIP (2013).