Jeffrey T. Grater
Director, Virgil Hawkins Civil Clinics
Senior Legal Skills Professor
Box # Gainesville, FL 32611
EducationJ.D., UF Levin College of Law (with honors); B.A., University of Florida (with high honors)
Teaching and Scholarship
- Full Representation Civil Clinic, Family Law and practice
- University of Florida: Joined college of law faculty in 1996, Virgil Hawkins Civil Clinic Legal Skills Professor, promoted to Senior Legal Skills Professor in 2005.
- Professional Experience: Attorney, Three Rivers Legal Services (1988-96); Law Clerk, Florida Fifth District Court of Appeals Judge Joe Cowart Jr. (1985-1988).
- Professional Affiliations: American Bar Association; Florida Bar Association (also Family Law section); Eighth Judicial Circuit Bar Association; Supreme Court certified family and county court mediator.
Civil Clinic, Full-Representation (9 credits, Fall and Spring; 6 credits, Summer) - LAW 6940
- Students participate in the conduct of civil legal matters under a scheme of systematic supervision combined with substantial related formal instruction. One third of the credits may be awarded on a letter grade basis at the option of the instructor. The remaining credits will be awarded on a Satisfactory (S), Unsatisfactory (U) basis.
Prerequisites: None, although student must have completed 48 semester hours. Registration and selection are by application prior to advanced registration, and is based upon registration priority, including entering class, number of semester hours completed, and preference classes completed prior to the Full Representation course – listed below – and other relevant courses that may be announced at a later date.
- Advanced Litigation Skills
- Advanced Topics Family Law Seminar
- Child, Parent & the State
- Children’s Law
- Economics of Family Law Evidence
- Family Law
- Interviewing and Counseling
- Juvenile/DV/Family Law Externship
- Mediation Class (not clinic) Negotiation
- Negotiation & Mediation
- Poverty Law
- Trial Practice or Advocacy