Joan D. Flocks
Director, Social Policy Division
Center for Governmental Responsibility
Affiliate Faculty with the Center for Latin American Studies
Box #117629 Gainesville, FL 32611
EducationJ.D., University of Florida M.A., University of Florida B.S., University of Florida
Teaching and ScholarshipEnvironmental Justice, Poverty Law, Community-Based Participatory Research, Immigrant Groups in the Southeast
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law in 2003 as Director, Social Policy Division at the Center for Governmental Responsibility. Assistant Professor, Department of Health Policy and Epidemiology, College of Medicine (1998-2003).
- Professional Experience: Field Project Director, Together for Agricultural Safety Project, University of Florida College of Medicine (1997-2003). Staff Attorney, Central Florida Legal Services (1995-96). Staff Attorney, Bay Area Legal Services (1992-95).
- Professional Affiliations: The Florida Bar, Society for Applied Anthropology.
Representative Recent Publications
- The Environmental and Social Injustice of Farmworker Pesticide Exposure. Georgetown Journal on Poverty Law & Policy. 19(2):255-282, (2012).
- Female Farmworkers� Perceptions of Pesticide Exposure and Pregnancy Health. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 14:626-632 (2012) (with Kelley M, Economos J, and McCauley, L).
- Effectiveness of Public Health Nursing Case-Management on the Health of Women Receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families: Findings from a Randomized Controlled Trial using Community-Based Participatory research. American Journal of Public Health 101(9):1759-1768 (2011) (with Kneipp SM, Kairalla JA, Lutz BJ, Pereira D, Hall AG, Beeber L, and Schwartz T).
- Environmental Justice Implications of Urban Tree Cover in Miami-Dade County, Florida. Environmental Justice 4(2):125-134 (2011) (with Escobedo F, Wade J, Varela S and Wald C).
- The Role of Employers and Supervisors in Promoting Pesticide Safety Behavior among Florida Farmworkers. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 53(8):814-824 (2010) (with Mayer B and Monaghan P).