Joan D. Flocks
Director, Social Policy Division
Center for Governmental Responsibility
Affiliate Faculty with the Center for Latin American Studies
Box #117629 Gainesville, FL 32611
EducationJ.D., University of Florida; M.A., University of Florida; B.S., University of Florida
Teaching and Scholarship
- Environmental Justice, Poverty Law, Community-Based Participatory Research, Immigrant Groups in the Southeast
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law in 2003 as Director, Social Policy Division at the Center for Governmental Responsibility. Assistant Professor, Department of Health Policy and Epidemiology, College of Medicine (1998-2003).
- Professional Experience: Field Project Director, Together for Agricultural Safety Project, University of Florida College of Medicine (1997-2003). Staff Attorney, Central Florida Legal Services (1995-96). Staff Attorney, Bay Area Legal Services (1992-95).
- Professional Affiliations: The Florida Bar, Society for Applied Anthropology.
Poverty Law (3 credits) - LAW 6812
Social Justice Lawyering (3 credits) - LAW 6930
- “Implementing a Community-Based Social Marketing Project to Improve Agricultural Worker Health,” (with Clarke L, Albrecht S, Bryant C, Monaghan P, and Baker H) Clarke L, Albrecht S, Bryant C, Monaghan P, and Baker H) in Social Marketing (R.C.Lefebvre, ed.) (SAGE Publications, 2013) (Reprinted from 109:3 Environmental Health Perspectives 461 (2001))
- The Deepwater Horizon Disaster Compensation Process as Corrective Justice: Views from the Ground Up, with J. Davies) 84 Mississippi Law Journal 1 (2014)
- Occupational Risks and Pregnancy and Infant Health Outcomes in Florida Farmworkers, (with Runkle, J. et al) 11 Int. Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 7820 (2014)
- Pesticide Risk Perception and Biomarkers of Exposure in Florida Female Farmworkers, (with Runkle J, Tovar-Aguilar JA, Economos E, Williams B, Muniz JF, Semple M, and McCauley L.) 55 Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 1286 (2013)
- Female Farmworkers’ Health During Pregnancy: Health Provider Perspective, (with Kelley M, Economos J, and McCauley L.). 61 Workplace Health & Safety 308 (2013)
- Female Farmworkers’ Perceptions of Heat-Related Illness and Pregnancy Health, (with Thien Mac V, Runkle J, Tovar-Aguilar JA, Economos J, and McCauley L) 18 Journal of Agromedicine 350 (2013)
- The Environmental and Social Injustice of Farmworker Pesticide Exposure, 19 Georgetown Journal on Poverty Law & Policy 255 (2012)
- Female Farmworkers’ Perceptions of Pesticide Exposure and Pregnancy Health, (with Kelley M, Economos J, and McCauley, L.), 14 Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 626, (2012)
- Effectiveness of Public Health Nursing Case-Management on the Health of Women Receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families: Findings from a Randomized Controlled Trial using Community Based Participatory Research, (with Kneipp SM, Kairalla JA, Lutz BJ, Pereira D, Hall AG, Beeber L, and Schwartz T.), 101 American Journal of Public Health 1759 (2011)
- Environmental Justice Implications of Urban Tree Cover in Miami-Dade County, Florida, (with Escobedo F, Wade J, Varela S and Wald C.), 4 Environmental Justice 125 (2011)
- The Role of Employers and Supervisors in Promoting Pesticide Safety Behavior among Florida Farmworkers. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 53(8):814-824 (2010) (with Mayer B and Monaghan P).