Jon L. Mills
Professor of Law
Director, Center for Governmental Responsibility
Box #117629 Gainesville, FL 32611
Professor Mills is a globally recognized expert in privacy and cyber security issues. He appeared in landmark litigation including high profile privacy intrusion cases representing the families of Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Gianni Versace, and Sea World trainer Dawn Brancheau. He was also counsel in cases to prevent disclosure of information from electronic intrusions and hacking. He has lectured on privacy to judges, attorneys and corporate counsel.
He has been quoted by the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, the Guardian, and Washington Post among others and has appeared on CNN, NPR, ABC, and the BBC to discuss privacy and other public policy issues.
Professor Mills's scholarship can be found on:
EducationJ.D., University of Florida (with honors); B.A., Stetson University
Teaching & Scholarship
- Florida Constitutional Law, Privacy, Law & Policy Issues in the Americas, Legislative Drafting
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law as Founding Director, Center for Governmental Responsibility (1973 - 80) (1988 - present). Dean, College of Law (1999 - 2003).
- Public Service: Florida Federal Judicial Nominating Committee (2009), American Bar Association-Advisory Commission to the World Justice Project (2007-08), Chair of Florida Supreme Court Committee on Privacy & Court Records (2003-05), Florida Education Accountability Commission (2003-present), Speaker of the House (1987-88). Florida House of Representatives (1978 - 88). Designated “Most Effective Member of House,” 1985, 1986. Principle legislative programs include Growth Management Act, Wetlands Protection Act, Water Quality Assurance Act, Child Abuse Prevention Act (Mills Bill), Constitutional Right to Privacy, High Technology Economic Development Act, Far East Research & Development Council. Florida Constitution Revision Committee (1996 - 98), Selected “Most Valuable Member” 1998.
- Recipient, U.S. State Dept. Speaker & Specialist Grant sponsored by U.S. Dept. of State’s Office of International Information Programs (IIP), Montevideo, Uruguay (Dec. 8-9, 2008); Buenos Aires, Argentina (Dec. 10-11, 2008); and Cordoba, Argentina (Dec. 12-13, 2008).
- Legal Experience: of counsel, Boies Schiller & Flexner, LLP (present), Partner, McGalliard Mills deMontmollin & Smith (1980 - 86), Special Assistant State Attorney, Rolling v. State (1990). Judicial Clerk, Second District Court of Appeals, Florida (1972). Appeared before Florida Supreme Court, United States 8th Circuit Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, U.S. District Court of District of Columbia, U.S. District Court of Northern District of Florida.
- Activities: Fellow of American Bar Foundation, The Florida Bar; Order of the Coif; Phi Kappa Phi; Florida Supreme Court Historical Society; Florida Supreme Court Professionalism Commission. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University (1987).