Richard B. Stephens Eminent Scholar
Box #117625 Gainesville, FL 32611
EducationLL.M., Boston University J.D., Stanford Law School Ph.D., Harvard University M.A., Harvard University B.A., Smith College
Teaching and ScholarshipPartnership Taxation, Corporate Taxation, Federal Tax Research
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law faculty as Professor in 2013.
- Previous Academic Experience: Warren Distinguished Professor, University of San Diego (2001-2013); Dorsey & Whitney Professor, University of Minnesota (1999-2001); Professor, University of Minnesota (1986-1991, 1992-1999); Professor, University of Missouri – Columbia (1991-1992).
- Government Service: Law Clerk, Judge Robert E. Keeton, U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts (1982-1983).
- Private Practice: Sullivan & Worcester (Boston, MA, 1983-1986).
- Professional Associations: American Law Institute; American Bar Association, Section on Taxation; Massachusetts Bar Association.
Partnership Taxation (LLM) (6430)
Corporate Taxation (JD) (6620)
Federal Tax Research (LLM) (7911)
- PARTNERSHIP TAXATION (with Yin), 2d ed. (Aspen Law & Business) (forthcoming 2013).
- FEDERAL INCOME TAXATION OF PARTNERS AND PARTNERSHIPS, 4th ed. (West Group) (2013).
- Corporate Taxation (with Yin) (Aspen Law & Business) (2011).
- Passthrough Entities: The Missing Element in Business Tax Reform, 40 PEPPEDINE LAW REVIEW (forthcoming 2013).
- Framing Economic Substance, 31 VA. TAX REV. 271 (2011).
- The Sound and Fury of Carried Interest Reform, 1 COLUM. J. TAX L. 1 (2010).