Robert H. Jerry, II
Levin Mabie & Levin Professor of Law
Box #117620 Gainesville, FL 32611
EducationJ.D., University of Michigan (cum laude) B.S., Indiana State University (magna cum laude)
Teaching and ScholarshipInsurance Law, Contracts, Health Insurance, Health Care Finance and Access
- University of Florida: Joined UF Law as Dean (July 2003 - July 2014)
- University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law: Floyd R. Gibson Missouri Endowed Professor of Law (1998-2003), Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award (2001)
- Previous Academic Experience: University of Memphis, Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, Herbert Herff Chair of Excellence in Law (1994 98); University of Kansas School of Law, Dean (1989-94), Professor (1985-94), Associate Professor (1981-85), Chancellor's Award for University Service
- Private Practice: Barnes Hickam Pantzer & Boyd, Indianapolis, Ind. (1978-81). Law Clerk, U.S. Circuit Judge George E. MacKinnon for U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit (1977-78).
- Organizations (representative): American Law Institute; Adviser, ALI Principles of the Law of Liability Insurance, 2010-present; American Bar Foundation, Fellow; Bar of the Supreme Court of Indiana; American Bar Association; Association of American Law Schools, Chair, Section on Insurance Law, 1993; Reporter, Insurable Interest Drafting Committee, Uniform Trust Code, Uniform Laws Commission, 2008-11; Florida Supreme Court Professionalism Commission, 2003-present; Florida Supreme Court Board of Bar Examiners Testing Commission, 2008-09
Health Care Finance and Access
- Understanding Insurance Law (with Douglas R. Richmond, co-author). New York: Lexis Publishing, Inc., 2012 (5th ed.), 1005 pp. [2008 (4th ed.), 1024 pp., with Richmond; 2002 (3rd ed.), 1171 pp.; 1996 (2nd ed.), 989 pp.; 1987 (1st ed.), 748 pp.]
- Insurance Law: Cases and Materials (with Roger C. Henderson, co-author). New York: Lexis Publishing, Inc., 2001 (3d ed.), 1225 pp. [1996 (2nd ed.), 1136 pp., with Henderson]
Book Chapters & Related Contributions
- “What is Insurance?,” In New Appleman on Insurance, Jeffrey Thomas, ed., New York: Lexis Publishing Co., 2009, Chap. 1.
- “Insurance.” In The Oxford Companion to American Law, Kermit L. Hall et al., eds. New York: Oxford University Press, 2002. Encyclopedia entry (pp. 420-23).
- Article, “Bad Faith at Middle Age: Comments on ‘The Principle Without a Name (Yet),’ Insurance Law, Contract Law, Specialness, Distinctiveness, and Difference,” 19 Connecticut Insurance Law Journal (forthcoming, 2012).
- Article, “Public Forum 2.1: Public Higher Education Institutions and Social Media,” Florida Coastal Law Review (forthcoming, 2012) (Lyrissa Barnett Lidsky, co-author).
- Essay, “Leadership and Followership,” 44 University of Toledo Law Review 101-110 (forthcoming 2013).
- Essay, “Reflections on Leadership,” 38 University of Toledo Law Review 539-546 (2007).
- Essay, “Life, Disability, and Health Insurance: Understanding the Relationships,” 35 Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics 80-88 (2007).
- Article, “Regulating the Business of Insurance: Federalism in an Age of Difficult Risks,” 41 Wake Forest Law Review 835-878 (2006) (Steven E. Roberts, co-author).
- Article, “The Antitrust Implications of Collaborative Standard Setting by Insurers Regarding the Use of Genetic Information in Life Insurance Underwriting,” 9 Connecticut Insurance Law Journal 397 (2003).
- Article, “Insurance, Terrorism, and 9/11: Reflections on Three Threshold Questions,” 9 Connecticut Insurance Law Journal 95-120 (2002).