D. Daniel Sokol
Professor D. Daniel Sokol focuses his teaching and scholarship on complex business issues from early stage start-ups to large multinational businesses and the issues that businesses face: corporate governance, compliance, pricing strategies, M&A, collusion, and disparate business regulation around the world. A highly prolific scholar, Sokol has published his work in law reviews (e.g., Michigan Law Review, Northwestern Law Review), peer review journals (e.g., Journal of Law and Economics), books (e.g., Oxford University Press, Stanford University Press) and the popular press (e.g., Wall Street Journal). He is co-editor of the leading two volume Antitrust Economics Handbook as well as the leading Antitrust Compliance Handbook. Sokol is also active in practitioner circles in the US and abroad. The daily Global Competition Review named Sokol its Antitrust Academic of the Year in 2014 at its awards ceremony.
Sokol has taught at a number of other universities including: Northwestern Law School, University of Minnesota Law School, Catholic University of Chile and the University of Melbourne. He is an Honorary Fellow of the Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs, Fellow of the George Washington Law School Competition Law Center, and a member of the American Law Institute. He also serves as academic advisor to the US Chamber of Commerce.
LL.M., University of Wisconsin
J.D. University of Chicago
M.St.University of Oxford
B.A., Amherst College
Teaching & Scholarship
- Antitrust, Compliance, Corporate, International and Comparative Business Law and Regulation, Law and Entrepreneurship
- Professor Sokol has published a number of books with Oxford University Press and Stanford University Press and articles in journals such as the Journal of Law and Economics, Michigan Law Review, Northwestern Law Review, Southern California Law Review, Notre Dame Law Review, and the George Washington Law Review among others. He has presented at the Harvard/Stanford/Yale Junior Faculty Forum (2013) and at workshops and conferences in the United States and around the world.
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law faculty in 2008
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Chair, Law Professor’s Section (2013-present)
- American Bar Association- Section of Antitrust Law
- IP Section Representative (2014-present)
- Vice Chair, Membership Committee (2009-2015)
- Merger Retrospective Committee (2012-present)
- Task Force on Controlling Costs of Antitrust Enforcement and Litigation (2011-2012)
- American Bar Association- Section of Intellectual Property law
- Vice Chair, Division IV (2015-present)
- Chair, Antitrust Committee (2012-2015)
- American Association of Law Schools
- Chair, Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section (2014)
- Executive Board, Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section (2009-2013)
- Editor, Antitrust and Competition Policy Blog
- US Chamber of Commerce Antitrust Council
- Academic Advisor (2014-present)
- Policy Work: Sokol has provided technical assistance and capacity building to antitrust agencies and utilities regulators from around the world. He serves as a non-governmental advisor to the International Competition Network.
- This course combines much of the existing coverage in both unincorporated business enterprises and corporations into a single course. This combined course will cover the general themes of unincorporated business enterprises (agency, partnership, LLCs, LLPs).
- This class will explore antitrust issues in the health care and life sciences areas.
- The intersection of law and entrepreneurship is an emerging field of study. This course explores the common legal and economic issues faced by highly innovative start-up companies and the angel investors and venture capitalists who fund them.
- The Oxford Handbook of International Antitrust Economics, Volume 1 (Oxford University Press 2014)
- The Oxford Handbook of International Antitrust Economics, Volume 2(Oxford University Press 2014)
- Global Antitrust Compliance Handbook (Oxford University Press 2014)
- Competition and the State (Stanford University Press 2014)
- Competition Law and Development (Stanford University Press 2013)
- The Global Limits of Competition Law (Stanford University Press 2012)
- Competition Law and Policy in Latin America (Hart 2009)
- Analyzing Robinson-Patman, 83 George Washington Law Review 2064 (2015)
- Rethinking Compliance, 3 Journal of Antitrust Enforcement 31 (2015) (with Anne Riley)
- Quality Enhancing Merger Efficiencies, 100 Iowa Law Review 1969 (2015)
- The Evolution of U.S. Cartel Enforcement, 57 Journal of Law and Economics 51 (2014)
- Policing the Firm, 82 Notre Dame Law Review 785 (2013)
- The Strategic Use of Public and Private Litigation in Antitrust as Business Strategy, 85 Southern California Law Review 689 (2012)