Jerold H. Israel
L.L.B., Yale Law School
B.B.A., Western Reserve University
Teaching and Scholarship
Criminal Procedure, grand juries, white collar crime
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law faculty 1993 as Ed Rood Eminent Scholar in Trial Advocacy & Procedure.
- University of Michigan: Assistant, Associate and Professor (1961-82), Alene and Allan F. Smith Professor of Law (1982-96). Outstanding Teacher Award 1987. Emeritus since 1996.
- Visiting Faculty: Stanford University, University of Kansas
- Law Reform Participation: Executive Secretary, Michigan Law Revision Commission, 1973-93; Co-Reporter, National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, Uniform Rules of Criminal Procedure (1974 ed.); Reporter/co-reporter, Michigan Bar Committees to Revise the Criminal Code and Code of Criminal Procedure; Michigan Governor’s Study Committee for a Commission on Investigations; Michigan Supreme Court Committee on Guilty Pleas
- Clerkship: U.S. Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart (1959 -60).
- Career Highlights: Co-author of most frequently cited criminal procedure treatise; co-author of most widely adopted criminal procedure coursebook, used in 100+ law schools by estimated 400,000 students; author of numerous publications/books/law review articles/government commission reports.
- Advanced Criminal Procedure (with Kamisar, et. al.) 14th ed., West Academic, 2015
- Basic Criminal Procedure (with Kamisar, et. al), 14th ed., West Academic, 2015
- Criminal Procedure and the Constitution (with Kamisar, et. al.) annual editions (1988-2015), West Academic, 2015
- Criminal Procedure Hornbook (with LaFave, et. al.), 5th ed., West Academic, 2009
- Criminal Procedure (a 7 volume treatise) (with LaFave, et. al.) 4th ed., Thomson Reuters, 2015 (also on Westlaw, database CRIMPROC)
- Criminal Procedure: Constitutional Limitations in a Nutshell (with LaFave), 8th ed., West Academic, 2014
- White Collar Crime Hornbook (with Podgor, et. al), West Academic, 2013
- White Collar Crime in a Nutshell (with Podgor), 5th ed., West Academic, 2015
- White Collar Crime: Law and Practice (with Podgor et. al.), 4th ed., West Academic, 2015
Representative Law Reviews / Journals
- Free-Standing Due Process and Criminal Procedure: The Supreme Court’s Search for Interpretive Guidelines, 45 St. Louis University Law Journal 303 (2001)