Joseph W. Little
J.D., University of Michigan
M.S.M.E., Worcester Polytechnic Institute (highest honors)
B.S.M.E., Duke University (summa cum laude)
Teaching and Scholarship
Local Government Law, State and Local Taxation, United States and State Constitutional Law, Worker’s Compensation and Employment Legislation, Torts and Reparation Systems Reform, Property, Administrative Law, Comparative Constitutional Law and History.
- University of Florida: Joined College of Law in 1967 as Assistant Professor. Named Associate Professor 1968, Professor 1971 and Alumni Research Scholar in 1994.
- Visiting Faculty: Monash University (Australia), University of Auckland (New Zealand), University of Natal (South Africa), Visiting Fellow, Wolfson College at Oxford University, University of Peking, Stellenbosch University, South Africa.
- University of Michigan: Resident Advisor Hinsdale House, Office of Student Affairs (1961-63); Navigation Systems Engineer at Navigation and Control Systems Laboratory, Institute of Science and Technology (1961-64).
- Government Administration: Gainesville City Commissioner (1972-78); Gainesville Mayor-Commissioner (1977-78).
- Professional Affiliations: Member of Florida, Georgia, Michigan and District of Columbia Bars; Phi Beta Kappa, Sigma Xi, Florida Bar Committees on Professional Ethics, Florida Defenders of the Environment.
- Civil liability for harm caused by wrongful acts that violate non-contractual duties imposed by law. The course covers negligence and other theories of liability as prescribed by the instructor.
- Rights of employees and duties of employers under modern social programs, including workers’ compensation, wage and hour regulations, Social Security, old age, disability and medical problems and anti-discrimination laws.
- Examination of the substantive and procedural law of local governments, including organization, powers, procedure, personnel, and of financing sources, including state and local taxation, special assessments, user fees and borrowing.
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT LAW AND FINANCE, with supplement (University of Florida College of Law, 2002 and preceding years).
- FLORIDA CONSTITUTIONAL LAW, with supplement (University of Florida College of Law, 2002 and preceding years).
- WORKER’S COMPENSATION, (West 1999, Fourth Edition) (w/ Bacon and Smith).
- TORTS: THE CIVIL LAW OF REPARATION FOR HARM DONE BY WRONGFUL ACT (casebook), (Matthew Bender and Company, 1997) (w/ Lyrissa Barnett Lidsky).
- An Alternative View of Refining Comparative Fault in Florida, 89 Fla. Bar J. 36 (2015)
- Election Disputes and the Constitutional Right to Vote, 13 J. L. & Pub. Pol’y 37 (2001) [bepress]
- Teaching Torts, Introduction to the Law of Torts, 45 St. Louis L.J. 715, (2001)