Oct. 12, 2012 – UF Law celebrates anniversary of UF’s first African-American graduate
UF Levin College of Law, Chesterfield Smith Ceremonial Classroom, HOL 180
3 – 4:45 p.m.
UF Law celebrates the 50th anniversary of the first African-American to graduate from the University of Florida and UF Law, W. George Allen. When Allen graduated from UF Law in 1962, he helped pave the way for generations of African-American law and undergraduate students in the state of Florida.
The celebration will include comments and introductions by:
– UF Association of Black Alumni President Terry Nealy
– Center for the Study of Race and Race Relations Director Katheryn Russell-Brown
– UF Provost Joseph Glover
– Judge Stephan Mickle (LCL ’70)
– “Desegregation Heroes Across the States,” by UF Law Dean Robert H. Jerry, II
– “The Legacy of Virgil Hawkins,” by Harley Herman, Esq. (LCL‘78)
– “Acknowledgment of Mr. George H. Starke, Jr.” by Ava Parker, Esq. (LCL ’87)
– Keynote Presentation by W. George Allen, Esq. (LCL ’62)
– “Reflections: Looking Back, Looking Forward,” with alumni reflections by JaDawnya Butler, Esq. (LCL ’04), Christopher Chestnut, Esq.,(LCL ’05), and Brandon Campbell, BLSA President (2L)
– Closing comments by Black Alumni Weekend Coordinator Samuel Wright and Katheryn Russell-Brown.
The program will conclude with the unveiling of a plaque honoring W. George Allen, with UF Law Dean Robert Jerry II.
The Allen celebration kicks off UF’s Black Alumni Weekend in Gainesville, Oct. 12 – 14. The weekend honors civil rights pioneers who were instrumental in desegregating the state’s universities and offers the opportunity to reunite Gators from every decade so they leave Gainesville closer and stronger than ever before. Read more at http://aba.ufalumni.ufl.edu/programs-and-events/. (Note: Details of some BAW events are tentative as of this date. Check the site closer to the weekend for finalized information.)
**Please note that the Black Alumni Weekend Friday Reception is occurring at the University Women’s Club from 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.. The reception was previously scheduled to occur at the law school. The address to the University Women’s Club is:
University Women’s Club
324 Woodlawn Drive
Gainesville, FL 32611
Driving directions from the law school: Leave the UF Levin College of Law parking lot and head to SW 2nd Avenue (street that runs parallel to University Avenue). Make a right on Woodlawn Drive (Directly after the new Tennis Pavilion). University Women’s Club will be on your right (next to the Basketball Practice Facility)
Read the press release here: http://www.law.ufl.edu/news/2012/09/25/uf-law-celebrates-50th-anniversary-ufs-first-african-american-graduate/