Historically, UFLaw alumni have been asked to participate in Special Funding activities for major facilities construction and remodeling, with three important projects conducted during the Levin College of Law’s 95-year history:
1966-67: Spessard L. Holland Law Center First major project made possible the cornerstone of the new University of Florida College of Law campus. The 1969 dedication of the Holland Center — 57 percent of which was library space — allowed faculty and students to move from Bryan Hall, built in 1914. One third of the funding made possible through the efforts of Sen. Spessard Holland ‘16 came from a 1960s federal grant (specifically created for building academic facilities) spelled out in the Higher Education Facilities Act.
1981-82: Bruton-Geer Hall
Dedicated in 1984, Bruton-Geer enabled the College to further diversify its programs and enhance its instructional capability designed not for additional students, but to improve programs already existing. The facility is named for the parents of James D. Bruton Jr. ‘31 and his wife, Quintella Geer Bruton. Their contribution of more than $1 million was at that time the largest private gift ever made to the law school.
2001-02: Library Enlargement, Academic Facilities Construction
The Lawton Chiles Legal Information Center, remodeled Holland Hall, new academic towers and classrooms and state-of the-art technology will bring the Levin College of Law back to the forefront of major U.S. public law schools in terms of facilities and campus environment. Construction is expected to be completed in 2005.
The 2002-03 fiscal year covered by this Report featured additional special funding efforts devoted to the Stephen C. O’Connell Supreme Court Reading Room plus continuing and new support for the facilities expansion/construction program now underway. Special Funding efforts also continued in 2002-03 on special naming possibilities to occur in the expanded College of Law facilities.